Greetings! This is a monthly update from BEBESEA to our valuable friends, colleagues and resource persons who have participated in and supported our activities.
News from BEBESEA:
- Twitter Space: We held our first Twitter Space conversation on August 1st 2022 in commemoration of the World Day Against Trafficking in Persons (30th July) discussing the lived experiences, situations, challenges, and roles of the civil society regarding human trafficking in Asia and beyond. Listen to the Space replay on BEBESEA Twitter.
- Article: Aniek Sulist contributed her article “Menguak Kerentanan TKI Hong Kong: “Dari Tidur di Lantai, Makan Siang Mie Instan, Sampai Gangguan”” as a part of BEBESEA Story Fellowship Programme. Through the article, she expressed her extreme concerns on the vulnerability migrant workers, including herself, have to deal with in their workplace far away from their homeland (Available in Bahasa Indonesia only).
- Voicesea Podcast: The new episode “Towards Ethical Recruitment of Migrant Workers: Understanding the Patterns, Costs and Challenges” is a conversation with Pamungkas Ayudhaning Dewanto, the lead researcher of BEBESEA’s latest research on excessive placement and recruitment fees or migrant workers.
- Statement: Through our statement “ACTIVISM IS NOT A CRIME, YET EXECUTION IS: Call for Release of All Prisoners of Conscience”, we, BEBESEA, condemn the executions by the illegitimate government against pro-democracy leaders and an elected legislator for exercising their political rights as their fundamental freedom and rights happening in Myanmar.
- Video: How do you say “migrant workers” in your language? In this Instagram video, Arlene shows us the Indonesian translation of the term. She also tells us her hopes for the migrant community. Wait for other languages on our social media.
News from Our Network:
- Book Launching: Short Stories Anthology by Indonesian Migrant Workers in Japan “Morotomo” compiled for BEBESEA Story Fellowship programme, has been published with ISBN and is available to purchase (Indonesia region only). More info on RUMI Jepang Facebook Page.
If you have any resources or events you would like BEBESEA to share widely, please do get in touch!